Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Dalma (Lentil Stew with Coconut)

(recipe from Saveur magazine)

1 cup toor dal (yellow pigeon peas), rinsed, soaked (I used split yellow peas)
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 carrot, cut into 1"pieces
1 plum tomato, minced
1 small Japanese eggplant, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 small Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 1/2" piece ginger, peeled and mashed into a paste (I minced it)
1/2 small daikon radish, peeled and cut into 1" pieces (I used a watermelon radish)
salt, to taste
1 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut (I used dried unsweetened coconut)
3 Tbsp. sugar (I used less honey)
1 tsp. asafoetida (I used 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, 1/2 tsp. onion powder)
1/4 cup ghee (I used coconut oil)
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 small green Thai chile or a Serrano, halved (I chopped finely)

Bring dal and 8 cups water to a boil in a 6-qt. saucepan.  Reduce heat to medium; stir in turmeric, carrot, tomato, eggplant, potatoes, ginger, daikon, and salt; cook until dal is mushy, about 45 minutes.  Stir in coconut, sugar, asafoetida; cook 15 minutes.  Melt ghee in a small skillet; cook cumin seeds and chile until seeds pop, 1-2 minutes; stir into stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment