Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fresh Pea Soup With Mint

(recipe from Prevention magazine)

1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 scallions, green parts only, cut into 4" pieces
1 rib celery, trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
4 cups fresh or frozen and thawed peas
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
1/2 cup Greek yogurt (I used coconut milk)
1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

Heat oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat.  Add scallions, celery, and onion.  Cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Add broth and bring to a boil.  Add peas and salt.  Simmer for 10 minutes.

Transfer mixture carefully to a food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary).  Add mint and puree until smooth.  Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls.  Top each bowl with 2 Tbsp. of the yogurt and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.

(I added about 1 cup more peas, blended only slightly, as I initially thought the finished product was too thin.  Also, since I was taking this soup in a mason jar for work lunches, I simply blended the coconut milk right into the soup.  I used frozen peas, but this soup still tasted light and fresh.  I ate it both cold and hot, and it was delicious both ways.  Lovely.)


No comments:

Post a Comment